Monday, June 9, 2008

Exploring the Hudson Valley

This past weekend I decided to get out town for a few days and explore the Hudson Valley and search out interesting places to share with my fellow "junkies." It had been awhile since my last post, and I have been in desperate need for some inspiration from outside the city. From east of the Hudson River to the west, here are a few of the notable places, shows and events I discovered along the way.

Woodstock, NY
On Saturday we stumbled across the Mower's Flea Market in the heart of Woodstock. Tucked in a wooded lot just off Maple Lane, vendors set up shop every Saturday and Sunday from mid-May through November.

It was a laid-back and welcoming environment, with lots of tables to scour. There were antiques galore, as well as vendors selling tye-dye t-shirts, homemade maple syrup, crystals and geodes, hippy-inspired jewelery, and much more. The crowd was a mix of tourists and locals, and overall there was a great vibe. All the prices were very reasonable across the board, and I would highly suggest stopping by if you happen to be in Woodstock for the weekend. Afterwards, you can browse the local antique and boutique shops peppered throughout the town.

Tannersville, NY
While driving through the Catskill Mountains, I passed through a small village named Tannersville. As I cruised down the main drag on my way to Woodstock, I couldn't help but notice that almost all the buildings were painted with the most crazy and vibrant color combinations. Since the White Elephant is also about curious places, I had to add this one into the mix.

I did a little research and found out that Elena Agostinis Patterson -- a resident of Tannersville since 1986 and a painter/sculptor -- decided to add a little life to her weekend home. She chose a combination of orange, purple, yellow and green. It became a sight to behold, and passerbys couldn't help stop to ogle the color-challenged house.

For years the town was suffering from economic hardship and lack of tourism, and Ms. Patterson thought it would be a great idea if all of the buildings in the town were painted crazy colors to help draw in the crowds. Apparently the Mayor at the time thought it was a fabulous idea, and even with a lot of opposition from the aesthetically-astute, many of the buildings along the main street were transformed.

I'm not sure how successful the plan was since many of the buildings appeared to be run down and empty. I do know, however, that it caught my eye and made me stop. Even though their color choices would make Josef Albers turn over in his grave, I applaud their risk-taking!

Cold Spring, NY
Cold Spring has become one of my favorite places in the Hudson Valley. With its amazing views of the Hudson River; its quiet Main Street filled with antique stores, bed & breakfasts, and small cafes; and it's close proximity to the city, Cold Spring has become my ultimate weekend retreat.

On Sunday, we visited the annual Cold Spring Antiques Show. We had to pay a hefty $6 entry fee; but once inside we found a decent mix of high-quality 19th- and 20th-century antiques. If you're an avid collector, it's worth checking out; but if you're just there to browse, it's probably not worth the admission.


Garrison, NY
On my way back to the city, I was curious about some of the towns south of Cold Spring. I ventured through Garrison, which is just a few miles down the road. There really isn't a main part of town per sé, but I did come across the Garrison Arts Center located next to the Metro North train stop. The artist being featured in the main gallery was Suzanna Frosch and the work combined textiles, paper, paint and in some cases, animal bones (you know how I love animal bones!). I can't seem to find a website for the artist, but I'll keep digging to find out more.

For more information and upcoming events at the Garrison Art Center, visit: www.garrisonartcenter.org