Friday, March 21, 2008

Hyungkoo Lee / Animatus

I frequently visit galleries in Chelsea with my husband Kris Chatterson, who also happens to be a fabulous painter. (I'll give him a plug here: www.kchatterson.com) Although I was a little hesitant about writing a post based on a contemporary show, I finally decided that the subject matter and the show's aesthetic made it quite fitting for the White Elephant and worth sharing with others.

Hyungkoo Lee's debut solo show in the United States can be summed up in one word: phenomenal. For the show, titled Animatus, Lee created skeletons of "familiar yet imaginary cartoon characters, as if they exist in the real world." This body alteration blends science and art, creating a mesmerizing body of work that is in one respect fantastical, yet also so realistic, it's haunting. The show is up through April 19th at Arario New York. For more information about the artist's work visit: www.hyungkoolee.net.